About Me

你好 Ni hao!My name is Elizabeth Yu Ellsworth. I teach Mandarin Chinese at Herricks Middle School in Long Island, NY. These are my photos and impressions of my first ever trip to Shanghai, China during November 1-5 2010.

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Morning in the Park

One of the loveliest places we discovered was the Chang Feng Park 长风公园, just a 10 minute walk from our hotel. Here we saw people engaged in all kinds of activities during the early morning hours. Groups of women did line dancing while elderly men did stretching exercises to the accompaniment of singing from their pet birds nearby.



  There were many groups doing taichi - both slow moving and faster moving forms.


 An 86 year old man was singing Chinese opera accompanied by an erhu player. 


 There was even some kind of vigorous group clapping exercise. This looked like tons of fun!


Most endearing were the groups of couples doing slow Western style dancing. I couldn't take my eyes off the woman dancing with her adorable little child in her arms.




With so many activities one can join so freely I am sure people in this town have no need whatsoever for gyms or health clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment