About Me

你好 Ni hao!My name is Elizabeth Yu Ellsworth. I teach Mandarin Chinese at Herricks Middle School in Long Island, NY. These are my photos and impressions of my first ever trip to Shanghai, China during November 1-5 2010.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Signs

I took many pictures of signs around Shanghai; some to share with my students, some simply because I found them amusing.

      买一送一  Mai yi sòng yi - Buy one, get one free.

Many restaurants had these food safety inspection notifications posted outside their front doors.
We scrupulously avoided entering any with the red "fail" icons.


For a few coins this machine will dispense a single paper napkin for you to wipe your hands with. Paper products are never given out freely in China. You must pay for even the tiniest of plastic shopping bags.


A wonderful example of mangled English. This sign is asking customers to separate their utensils as they place them into the cart.  Some of these signs are quite hilarious. To read more about Chinglish read the NY Times article "Shanghai is Trying to Untangle the Mangled English of Chinglish."


Among the services offered by this beauty salon are perms, eyebrow shaping, tatooing, and full body massages.  


This establishment boasts 5 barbers, 5 beauticians, 2 manicurists and 3 apprentices.

No comments:

Post a Comment